Wednesday 15 July 2009

Football birthday


Each week I play football with a group of Chinese lads ("Matrix FC") at the Jingwen Stadium. Not only does it give me some much needed exercise it always allows me to practice my mandarin/shanghainese. We usually have about 21 Chinese players and occaisionally a few other foreigners - although I've been the only "international" player making appearances lately (I think it is too hot for the others!).

The teams are split into teams of 7-a-side. Most of the lads have been playing together for 10 years or so so teams are in established units. There is an "argentina" team who all come from the Chongming island just outside of shanghai, a "France" team and then a "netherlands" team who were the original founders of the group. Seeing as I always wear my tangerine kit I got grouped with the Netherlands team. I tend to play an attacking full back role, which I really like but always results in me being cream crackered by the end!!

We play from 9.30am every sunday. The matches we play usually last 30 minutes each and then it is a case of winner stays on - if it is a draw the match goes to a penalty shoot. You can't stay on for more than 2 consectutive games and you wouldn't really want to in 40 degree heat. The games usually finish at 12.30pm and then we go for lunch and some drinks.

As last sunday was the week before my birthday the team threw me a surprise birthday party. We played until 12.30pm as normal and then went for a large dinner at a sichuan restuarant. They took charge of the ordering so I was treated to some of the spiciest food I have ever eaten in China and also some of the strangest; bullfrog, ducks neck.
They were quite shocked at how much i ate though and even more shocked that we eat rabbit at home. I explained to them that my parents are farmers and I think they understand. They were really kind and each team bought me a present - Kevin (my best friend on the team) bought me a really nice watch, the argentian team gave me a Chinese tea set from their island and the french team bought me a large birthday cake.
It was a really great day and I hope I can buy them all some new "english" football kits before I leave to say thank you for their hospitality. No more of this "argentina" malarky!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment