Sunday 26 April 2009

New Watches

I went to the market in the Underground station a few stops from me on tuesday night and managed to pick up these two watches. Here's how the bargaining process went:

shop guy: 1,180 yuan each.
me (all in bad chinese) : i've been told not to pay more than 100 yuan
SG: ah, you're not a tourist
me: no, i work here.
SG: OK what do you do
Me: I work in a law firm
SG: (looks a bit sheepish) Ok, Ok. How about 400 yuan each
Me: No 100
SG: Ok 200
Me: no 100
SG: OK - how about two for 300?
Me: [sigh] fine.

I promised that i'd be bringing in lots of clients and other business people. I don't think £15 quid is that much to pay for any watch - even a cheap copy - so was quite happy. Spoken to people in the office and they said that was about the right price to pay. They are still working fine at the moment and they've certainly lasted longer than my Mao watch, which I bought last time here and broke on the first night! Any orders?

No comments:

Post a Comment