Thursday 30 April 2009

St Georges Day Dinner

I realise that no one really makes any fuss over St George's Day back home but for me it represented the perfect opportunity to cook my first meal, so I trundled off down the supermarket in search of ingredients.
They serve asparagus in quite a lot of the restaurants over here - usually stir fried with garlic - but seeing as dad is currently spending most of his days pulling the stuff out of the ground it was a perfect ingredient. As you can see they let it grow a little longer than they do in England and because of this it was quite strong tasting. Anyway one of these bundles cost 30p - quite a bit more reasonable than what dad sells it for to the supermarkets!!!

sǔn 芦笋

For the rest of the ingredients I managed to get some Potatoes, Broccoli, Runner Beans, Carrots and for the meat element some Australian Steak from the City Store down the road. All the vegetables came to about £2 in total and then the steak cost £2 as well. THe most expensive aspect of the whole meal was the bloody masher for the potatoes - it cost £10! Worth it though as the mash was quite delicious. I'll have to make sure to get good value out of it.

胡萝卜hú luó bo (carrots) , 土豆 dòu (tates), 牛排 niú pái (steak)



Because of the masher it was one of the most expensive meals I've had in China so far - but it was worth it. Good to have a taste of home. It was a little tricky to cook as don't exactly have all the utenssils that I would have at home - substituted a steamer with a culinder held over the top of a saucepan - used the saucepan lead to keep the heat in. Will try and get more stuff and then I can cook for the other trainees and the people from work.

好吃 hǎo chī!


No comments:

Post a Comment